Friday 18 March 2011

A Windy Day!! A Mixture of Workouts!

Today's run was crazy! It was so windy out that literally my tuque was blowing off! And it seemed to come from every direction - no matter which street I turned to, no matter which way I was heading it was full blown, gale force wind! Needless to say my 3 mile run turned into a 3 mile run/walk against the crazy forces of nature! It was 7 degrees, but felt like it was freezing! I made it to the gym though, and really gave 'er.

I started off with a BodyPump class. I workout at Goodlife Fitness, and they have a selection of classes (LesMills) which are a form of very specific and organized, exercise set to music. It seems as though they have one set 'program' for a month, with the same music and same steps. It's great for people who don't like mixing it up, and learning new moves every time. It does get sort of monotonous - but it's a short (1 hour) and sharp workout geared towards getting the best burn. The BodyPump is my favourite, as it is all muscle conditioning, lots of reps with decent weight, building muscle endurance and working them to failure. When working out on my own, I usually use heavy weight, low reps - or a Pyramid style of lifting, going from 12 reps of lighter weights to 6 reps of heavy. So BodyPump is a great way to mix things up and not let my body adapt too much to one routine.

My plan was to then do a Zumba class - which for anyone out there who hasn't done one, I highly recommend it. Zumba is a latin inspired dance fitness class. At my gym, there is a good mix of latin dancing, what I call 'bollywood dancing' and hip hop. Some of the instructors are amazing - and it is so much fun. You might be worried about not having the co-ordination to do something like Zumba - but I say, whatever! It's hilarious to watch everyone (including myself) - It always reminds me of a 10 year old dance recital, where each kid is doing their own thing (the wrong thing, at the wrong time) - except we are all adults looking silly! Anyhow - I didn't end up going, as the instructor was not one of my faves. She is far too spinny for me, and there is no flow to her classes - it's almost as if she is at a bar, drunk, and has no idea what she is doing. But, I digress.

I ended up doing 50 minutes on the Precor instead while watching a mixture of the news and MuchMusic videos. I cranked the incline up to 16 and pushed as hard as I could. Burning off all that wine from last night!

A great workout I think!

Today's Meals:
Breakfast: Cottage Cheese and 1 Source Yoplait Yogurt  (all dairy now gone from the fridge)
Lunch: Oatbran porridge with scrambled eggs
Dinner: Turkey/beef Hamburgers
Dessert: Jello

I'm a little nervous about taking my concoction the Doc gave me. It says I have to drink a glass of water every hour for 4 hours before and after, and that it completely empties you out. I think tomorrow may be the day, and it will be a right off in terms of going anywhere. And I have to go grocery shopping!!! Could be an interesting situation!

2 comments:

  1. Are you taking some pills and then a liquid? I had to take that combo a few months ago prior to a medical procedure. That stuff is usually very salty (so is the other liquid that you take by itself). I read recommendations to pour the liquid in a glass of ice cubes so it's as cold as possible, and I was glad I did that. The stuff is hard to drink. Stay near the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pills, just the liquid. It's 'citro' something, and yes, they mentioned to drink it icy cold!. I'm not going anywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete