Friday 4 March 2011

The Body or the Mind - Which is crazier????

I thought an awful lot about my body today, and how it is sometimes completely insane, a force not to be reckoned with, or even understood. There is so much going on inside of us, constantly; our hormones, our digestion, our muscle recuperation. It is never stagnant. And all of this sometimes reflects itself on the scale. The dreaded scale. Over the course of a day, I can weigh anywhere within a 5 pound range, and I know this. Perhaps I did a heavy weight workout the night before, so my muscles are holding on to some extra H20. Maybe my HUGE protein plate has not quite worked it's way through my intestines. Maybe I drank a huge amount of water, and peed the whole night through. Maybe I ate some Kimchi chigae, and was on the throne the evening (tmi). All of these things will make a number between my toes go up or down - one way or another.

This is where the mind comes in. I can wake up feeling bright and shiny, only to strip down, jump on some measly piece of measuring equipment, and decide my self-worth. I can go from loving myself and my slightly exposed collarbone, to feeling like a 'two ton annie' as my mother used to say, and the day is ruined. Or, I can wake up with an excruciating headache after one too many beers, feeling crappy for whatever mischief I was up to the night before - get on the scale, and have it be down 3 pounds and feel elated; not even remotely considering the fact that I am completely dehydrated, and truly hurt my body the night prior with copious amounts of alcohol and 5 slices of pizza pie. Twisted. To be able to base so much on a stupid number.

All of this becomes especially difficult when you are on a diet. Or a new lifestyle, or whatever you want to call it. It can lead some people to just give up, throw in the towel and pick up a bucket of KFC. It can lead others to starve themselves, and throw them into a psychological illness, like anorexia or bulimia.

My goal is to do neither. I still want to have a goal. A healthy weight, that I can maintain - but I do not want to be obsessed with the daily ups and downs. No, I did not eat 3500 calories yesterday on top of what I burned (one pound). Nor did I burn that many. Therefore, I will not weigh myself if I feel slightly bloated, or haven't 'went' in a day or so. I will weigh in once a week, or on a day where I've got my head on straight. As long as I am adhering to the guidelines, I'm doing my best. And I am the force to be reckoned with.

Meal Log:
Breakfast: Oatbran mixed with cottage cheese, egg whites, and small amount of protein
Lunch: Left over chicken, mixed with cottage cheese
Snack: Jello and yogurt
Dinner: 'breaded' chicken fingers (which I promises I will get a good pic of eventually)
Dessert???

Approximate calories: 1300,  66% protein (BAM!)

Exercise:
5Km walk
50 minutes cardio/weights class

Treat: MASSAGE!!! I love my masseuse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment