Sunday 6 March 2011

Dukan and Night Shifts

(Cruise Day 12 - Protein Only )

Working night shift no doubt makes eating healthy, and maintaining weight a lot more difficult. Your hours are screwed up, you lose sleep, your meal time schedule is altered, your workout schedule is altered. If I were to get into the scientific side of things, we could talk about leptin and ghrelin and how they control your appetite, and how not sleeping proper hours messes them all up. But I'm not all that scientific (or at least not before a night shift!). Then there is the 12 hours of hunger. Or what you think is hunger, but is probably a mixture of tiredness and a silly attempt to stay busier than you might be. You see, I'm a sleep technician. My 12 hours (or at least 8 of those) are spent watching people sleep. There's more to it than that - but there is a lot of that included! So staring at a computer for 12 hours, with a fridge near by. Well.....you can guess where that leads me.

And with Dukan, there's another problem. Do I count tonight's food as todays? Or tomorrows? What about Monday nights? Is that Monday, or Tuesday? I'm not to worried, as it doesn't really matter, so long as one night is protein only (tonight) and the next the opposite. I think eating Dukan will help me not feel so sluggish at 4am! What I brought with me; yogurt, cottage cheese, turkey, tuna, more tuna, my oats and protein powder. So here's a look at what I imagine my log to be come morning. Oh, and I already ate a lot today!

Meal Log
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and chicken bacon
Lunch: cottage cheese mixed with vanilla whey protein and cinnamon (yummy!)
Snack: Yogurt mixed with small amount of cream cheese and cocoa
Dinner: (breakfast 2?): Oatbran and protein
Snack: tuna
Snack: turkey
Snack: Yogurt and cottage cheese????

Total calories: 1582 calories, 66% protein (booyah)

Exercise:
No walk today. So sleepy from trying to nap!
50 minutes Precor though - and well paced!

Wish me luck! Off to my night shift!

No comments:

Post a Comment