Wednesday 9 March 2011

Depression and Moderation


Often times, moderation goes out the window as soon as depression opens a door. Depression makes us feel as though there is no point to anything - let alone eating properly, exercising, and taking good care of your body. For those of us who are affected by depression from time to time - they are used to the cycle. Nothing necessarily changes in their lives, but everything means less. For myself, I have episodes in my life where things look terrible. And I can predict that without fail, I will snap out of it eventually. I always do. Things might look grim, and perhaps are grim - but generally, after a few days, or a week, or a few weeks, I'm smiling again. But what do you do in the meantime?

Having recently given up smoking, eating carbs for the most part, and alcohol - there is a lot of ways i can fall. In the past, I would go to a glass of wine, which is not bad, but not on plan. I'm more inclined to turn to alcohol than food - as it changes my mood after just a little bit. Food, on the other hand, changes nothing in my mind. It might 'comfort' me momentarily, but then leaves me with nothing. Not guilt, but nothing. Now, a beautiful feast at a restaurant, that might be different. The camaraderie would be the winning factor. But there are things I can work on to stay on the up and up, without taking to food or drink. Reading other peoples' blogs, both on Dukan and other things. I can go for long walks. I can practice cooking new things. Now mind you, all of these things might feel forced, and albeit - they are! But, they are good distractions. I think the key to getting through depressive episodes for me is all about distraction. And when, for whatever reason, the sun looks shinier, I can feel good about how I coped with everything, and be proud of my self-efficacy.

All of this being said, it is a struggle to stay on track when the skies are gray. And we won't even talk about what it is like when the scales aren't moving either! We'll save that for another day. I'd love to hear your ideas on what to do in regards to willpower when you are feeling down and out. 


Today is Day 15 of Cruise: Protein/Veggie - however, I did not eat veggies today, as I'm going to have salad tomorrow for lunch at work. At least this is the plan.


Today's Meals: 
Breakfast: Two eggs scrambled w/ two egg whites, chicken bacon
Lunch: oat bran with protein
Dinner: Tilapia w/ spices,
Dessert: Jellos

Oops: Also snacked on some beets. And had a small piece of Dukan brownie - so had some veggies, and probably a little too much oatbran.
Calories around 1200

Exercise: 
10Km walk
30 minutes precor



No comments:

Post a Comment