Saturday 5 March 2011

Kimchi Jjigae and Dukan Brownies



Lots of Cooking and Baking!!

Having spent 6 years living in S. Korea, I have become quite partial to their food. One of my all time favourites, and perhaps one that took a little getting used to - is Kimchi. Kimchi is one of the healthiest foods out there, and a staple for every meal for most Koreans. It is usually served as a side dish, or as part of a dish - and boasts super healthy attributes, such as probiotics, tons of vitamins and minerals, and fibre. As a probiotic, I've heard it is ranked higher than the majority of yogurts out there. Essentially, kimchi is cabbage that is fermented in red pepper based spices. It can be incredibly hot, but is so worth it!


My favourite dish is Dukan Kimchi JJigae (or kimchi stew). And it is perfect for the Dukan! It's quite spicy, so not for the weak!

Dukan Kimchi Jjigae
2 cloves of garlic
One carrot, diced
500 grams of beef (lean cut)
1kg of kimchi 
900 ml Beef broth (low sodium)
250 grams of tofu



Kimchi JJigae!


First 'fry' up some garlic, carrots and beef 
(in traditional Jjigae, they use pork)


 Once beef is cooked, add your Kimchi and cook for 5 minutes or so


Add beef broth


Add tofu


Bring to a boil, and simmer for an hour


Enjoy! Piping hot. 


And for dessert; how sweet it is!!! Finally some chocolaty goodness!

Dukan Brownies


Dukan Brownies

1 cup oat bran
1/3 cup vanilla whey protein
1/2 cup pumpkin
300 grams tofu
1/3 cup cocoa (no sugar variety)
1/3 cup sweetener (i used sugar twin, brown)
1tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
Dash of milk

Mix everything together, and mix well! Cook for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.

This makes quite a big tray, and gives us a huge serving when divided by 5 (as there is 10 tbsps of oatbran). It taste absolutely marvelous without icing (as we tried right out of the oven). However, I decided to make a little icing for my second piece, which is still 1 serving!

Icing for two
3 tbsps Extra Light Cream Cheese
1/2 scoop of vanilla whey protein
1 tsp orange extract (for the Jaffa lovers!)


My Meal log for today: 
Breakfast: cottage cheese, one egg, whey protein
Lunch: Pumpkin mixed with cottage cheese
Snack: Yogurt and Dukan Brownie
Dinner: Kimchi Jjigae!
Dessert: Delicious Dukan Brownie with Orange icing

Total Calories: 1568 roughly. 53% protein

Exercise: 
5Km walk 
40 minutes Precor



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you wrote a post on kimchi jjigae! :) I'm Korean-American, and I've had kimchi jjigae many times before -- but it never occurred to me that I was allowed to eat it on the Dukan diet.

    Once I'm done with the Attack phase, it'll be one of the first things I eat... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, it is such a perfect food for DUKAN!
    I wish I discovered this diet while I was living in Korea, as it would have been so easy. Galbi, Chigae, and all the side dishes! Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're totally right! Galbi...bulgogi...yum. :) Have you ever had samgyupsal (similar to bacon)? Or maybe it's too fatty for the Dukan diet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I loved samgyupsal! But yes, probably too fatty for dukan - but atkins for sure! Haha. So delicious. You're making me crave like crazy! I'd love to go back to Korea for a week, and just eat and eat and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you get the kimchi at the store? i heard there was a lot of sugar and salt.
    can you make it your own kimchi for the dukan diet? i really want to eat kimchi! ><

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI there, I am with anonymous above- where can the un-learned get the Kimchi? or do we make it?

    ReplyDelete