Thursday 17 March 2011

Meeting with the Doctor

So I just wrote a huge long post about the experience with the Doctor today - and then I accidentally deleted it all!!! So here's the abbreviated version!

First off, my weight was at 156 today. Still one pound down from starting, and I'm not crazy upset about this, as I feel like I have 10 pounds of crap in my system. Literally. Sorry for the illustrious description. Haha. I know that once I get everything sorted out, it will start moving in the right direction - so just bear with me! Please???

I visited the Doctor today, and it was a good session. It seems as though all of my 'symptoms' point towards hypothyroidism. My 'not going', my 'female issues' (which I don't think I've discussed here), and my general blueness (my word for depression - when I think it's circumstantial:) all meet up. And even symptoms I never thought about - sensitivity to cold, dry hair and skin, muscle cramps. So here's hoping he's right. I'm being sent for blood work and we'll see. 

As for what I'm going to do - i'm going to put it on hold for a bit (maybe - my mind changes like the weather). He did give me a prescription to 'empty me out' (sorry for the crudeness - but you love me, right?). It's used for people going in for enemas and said most people don't really look forward taking it. I, on the other hand, am VERY EXCITED!! I will take it at some point this weekend, when I've nothing planned. Yay!

So tonight, I'm doing something not very Dukany - and I apologize to all the strict Dukaners out there. It took me some thinking to agree to this, but I'm going to indulge in some wine. There, I said it. It's St. Patty's Day, and I think that is the way it should be celebrated. So I'm kind of not completely Dukan today. 

So far, I've had salad with chicken (and I've had three veggie days in a row!), and yogurt. Not sure what is on the go for dinner. 

Exercise was 10Km walk. And I can't find my pedometer!!!! Will I stay motivated without it??

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to suggest a thyroid problem last weekend-so really glad to hear your doctor is investigating.
    I suffered from hypothyroid for years, took years to get a diagnosis, and even more time to titrate a correct dose. Not to overly concern you, but this is a very controversial medical field, and the more mainstream medical professionals are frequently not up to speed on current findings and treatment. Also Dr. John Lowe has a site-focus is on fibromylagia, but has a ton of excellent information about thyroid dysfunction in general. About.com has a pretty good site for thyroid. Your doctor should be testing for TSH AND free T3 and free T4, as a minimum. Frequently they only test for TSH-which can be an unreliable indicator of what is really going on. And if you have one of those doctors who rely on this test, good luck trying to convince him otherwise.
    I'm only saying this to try and spare you the time I lost to being sick....
    Good luck and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment!
    Isn't it interesting, the controversy surrounding hypothyroidism. A friend of mine recently had her thyroid tested, and her TSH was borderline. However, her mother, grandmother, sister all are hypo. She did some research, and discovered that in the U.S. they recently lowered the range, and she fell into those ranges as hypo. However, her doctor here in Canada was skeptical. He did agree to give her a low dose of synthroid to see how that worked, and now she is starting to feel a lot better.

    I think the doctor did only check TSH on the lab printout. But he called me at home to say that he forgot to check B12, and I had wanted it check - so told me to just check it off too. So, maybe I can just check T3 and T4 myself and then work on encouraging him, if they lean towards hypothyroid.

    How are you doing now? Did you find that treatment made a big difference?

    ReplyDelete