Wednesday 20 April 2011

Sugar: The Bitter Truth

This is a Youtube Must see. It's a long one, but if you have 1.5hrs, definitely worth a watch!!

Sugar: The Bitter Truth

If you'd prefer to read something about it, here's a link to a recent New York Times article

Is Sugar Toxic?

This really gives my head a shake. I'm huge on conspiracies, and find them very intriguing. This one really hits a button with me though. Obviously, it is not new to me, but I've never seen a better speaker on the subject than Robert Lustig. I think in the long run, eliminating the 'bad sugar' is my goal with Dukan. I'm not opposed to eating fruit in the long term, or carb that is truly nutritious, high in fibre, and won't hurt me. I wish I could just go immediately to that. I think that Dr. Lustig, while he doesn't necessarily talk about the solution to the addiction to sugar (other than - just stop consuming it!), he does really focus on the addiction side of things. He's definitely crazy against soda! I gave up regular soda a long time ago, so that's good. It's hard to believe there are still people out there that drink ridiculous amounts of it daily. I recently met a woman who drank 4 litres of it a day!! And she was a nurse! I'm not sure if I even get in 4 litres of liquid!! Let alone, coke! I'd love to hear Dr. Lustig's views on diet soda, aspartame, and other artificial sugars.

3 comments:

  1. Another convert! I haven't watched the video but read the article and over 400 comments... here's a link to Lustig's response re: honey etc.: http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2006/10/7103/spot-dr-lustig-responds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heather! First time commenting but I have been checking your blog daily.
    The video is great and a real eye opener. It is insane to hear about all the facts especially the abuse of sodas and sugary foods/drinks. I have been thinking about diet coke and aspartame since I started DD. There are a lot of articles on how diet coke is as bad or even worse than the classic one.
    I will quote a paragraph from an article on the ten terrible foods for our body: "Diet soda is considered to be the worst food for your body on the list! It has all of the negative effects of regular soda, plus it contains aspartame, now called AminoSweet, which is linked to health conditions like blindness, brain tumors, depression, epilepsy, headaches, fatigues, and MANY others!"

    Add loads of sodium which hides behind the sweetener and a bunch of chemicals.
    I too would love to hear Dr. Lustig's take on this. Diet coke has been a nice fix while on DD but I never had sodas regularly before this diet and I don't want any habits forming so I think I will cut it out.
    Knowing how bad some things are for our bodies makes it easier to keep them away. I just need to picture green gooey stuff going all over my organs and I think that will put me off! :D

    Ops that turned out quite long didn't it!

    /Luddi from the forums :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment ladies!

    Verukka: I'll have to check those comments out. I feel like the more I read, the more converted I'll become! I know I still have my problems! That's for sure!

    Luddi: So nice to see you here! Thanks so much for the comment! Do you have the link to the article (ten worst things)? I didn't drink much soda at all prior to Dukan. I do use a lot of splenda in my cooking, and worry about that. I drink diet coke now, probably too much - once or twice a week. I would like to cut it out completely. I wish that all of this hadn't been introduced to us, as now it sometimes feels like punishment to forgo it all!

    I just made a bunch of stuff for a bake sale tomorrow - none of it heatlhy, and I wonder, what am I doing to all these people? And myself! I did have a few licks!

    ReplyDelete