Sunday 24 April 2011

Happy Easter Dukaners!

Happy Easter everyone! I hope you had a beautiful Easter Sunday, and that the Easter bunny visited each and every one of you! He sure hit my place! I had a wonderful scavenger hunt orchestrated by my handsome Peter Rabbit Hubby. Little cryptic clues in hidden locations to lead me to the next chocolate easter egg. I will have what I like today, and then hide them, or ration them, or something. Haven't quite figured that out yet!

Still really thinking about what step to take next. While I love what Dukan stands for, and where it leads, and the results of others I've been watching - I'm worried that the 'strictness' of any it, or any 'diet' really may be setting me up for failure. I have a long time pattern of watching what I eat, losing weight, then losing interest. I think when I'm 'dieting', my mind feels deprived, whether or not my body actual is. And then I snowball in the other direction. I'm sure this is a pattern many people can relate to. I really need to focus on my relationship with food. I want to eat to live, not live to eat - but it's a hard thing to get my heart and brain set on. I LOVE food. I love all kinds of food. I like healthy food, I like unhealthy food. And saying I 'can't have' any certain things, makes me want them more in the long run. I know that I function better without carbs - but the not having them makes me want them more. More than I did before restricting them.

That being said, I like the idea of ridding my life of sugar in general, at least to the point where I can get rid of my 'addiction' if you want to call it that. But I may need to incorporate the healthy sugars, such as sweet potato, squash, and other veggies on a daily basis. So for now, while I haven't made any promises to myself as to when I'm going to start - I think I will do another Attack Phase, 3 days, and then go on to Cruise, with 6 days veggies, and 1 day Protein. I also think that I may incorporate some sort of 'free meal' per week.

Now I can already see a lot of Dukaners out there thinking 'Well, that won't work. That's not the way the Dukan plan was set out to work, scientifically.' However, if you look at what I just said, it looks an awful lot like South Beach, Body for life, the 4-Hour Body, and many other plans - that do have track records of working.

The weight loss may be slower than others have shown, but I'm Okay with that. And I like the idea of having an attack phase (just protein), a cruise phase (with protein and veg, and free meal), and consolidation (where once I reach my goal weight/size/whatever - I can start to slowly incorporate things like healthy bread, quinoa, and such).

It may work. It may not. I may do it. I may not. I hate making promises, and then screwing it up. So I'm not going to do that. The shame/guilt of that just makes it harder for me to persevere.

So anyhow, I've got the turkey in the oven, with sweet potato, and green beans all set to go. I will enjoy our beautiful Easter dinner.

I hope you all had a gorgeous Easter meal, with treats or without.

5 comments:

  1. You may not be following the Dukan diet verbatim, but Dr. Dukan himself says that this diet is not for people who exercise alot. Modifying the diet for athletic individuals is OK, you are following the spirit of the diet. The scale may move more slowly, but then again, you'll shrink more than you expect. I'll be in the cruise phase an add'l 3-4 weeks, but I am going to do the 95-100 days of Consolidation. I'd rather keep up/improve my fitness level while I am shrinking. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered something weird in the book so I shuffled the pages to find it. When he mentions the rhythms for the cruise phase he mentions a 2PP day one with 5 days following no particular diet but avoiding extremes(page 94-95). Makes it really interesting if this would actually work no? Having 2PP days should be a shock enough for the body and not going to carb overload for the other 5 should be easy enough. I am tempted to try it simply because no matter how much I want to believe it DD is not really that healthy. Yea the weight goes off quite fast and steady if you follow the rules but we all know that all that meat, artificial sweeteners and chemically treated flavorings will not lead to greener pastures. I think as soon as I am done with cruise I will try getting healthier protein in me during cons and stabilization. I remember I frowned upon your first posts in the forums for using protein powder. I used to make shakes myself before DD but after reading the book I got preoccupied. Thing is the one I was using(ISO Whey) is quite good with only 0.25 carbs from lactose and 0.5 fat so kiss my shaker Mr. Dukan I have already ordered a tub. I rather using that instead of powdered milks and all those processed ingredients.
    Do experiment around and see what works for you and don't forget to blog about it because I personally want to know all about it. Shameless I know..

    /Luddi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies!

    Veruka: I'm excited to see what happens when you go into consolidation, and how you handle it. And you eat veggies everyday - do you not? I would be happy with your rate of loss for sure! And I think (as soon as I get my friend's TV - next week) I may start hte P90X as well. Hopefully I'll have beginner's luck/results. My body needs to be shocked!

    Luddi: I'll have to check out those pages. I went to Chapters Book store on the weekend, as the book just came out and flipped through Dukan for about an hour. Most of what was in it seemed to be available online, but maybe I'm wrong! I hope it comes out at the library. 30$ is too much for my blood. I should just get it ebay!
    So...maybe I should do 2PP then? And I completely agree with the unhealthiness of the aspartame and what not! And I'm glad you changed your view on my protein:) I was insecure about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't read the book? :(
    I wouldn't have started this diet without it. Yes, a lot of the info is available online but reading the book is different.
    Get it! 30bucks is a bit too much yes but if you don't mind you can get the international version for less than that. This is where I got it with free shipping as well: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Dukan-Diet-Pierre-Dukan/9781444710335

    Or ebay go for it and blog about how you feel after reading it. I am curious as a lot of people lately don't even think of reading the book and rely on the information that is online. I want to see if it will have any impact on what you have gathered so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should read it. You did mention the location you got it at - but they still sold 'the canadian version' and it costs the same. Thanks for the referral though. I will look into buying it on ebay - Promise!!

    ReplyDelete