Sunday 1 May 2011

P90X Day One!! Core Synergistics

What are Sunday's for if not to make a start at something? 
Am I charged and rarin' to go? You betcha!! Today marked the first day of my very first "P90X Challenge".

I've had the P90X system (or the videos anyways) for a good year now. You might wonder why they have been laying dormant in my drawers for oh so long. Well, the biggest reason is that I do not have a television or a DVD player. I have a computer, that sits at the end of our bed. There I blog, surf the internet, and indulge in the few TV shows I find worth watching; the Daily Show, the Colbert Report, House MD, and of course, the Family Guy. I also watch the Biggest Loser, because I love watching success stories (I actually detest reality shows, but can see the allure). We rent movies occasionally, and have a huge volume. But I haven't had an actual Television in over 10 years. I don't hate TV, but rather I know that if I had one, I would be more likely to turn into a zombie, and develop an unhealthy relationship with a couch. But I digress - and got away from my point!

My friend is moving in to our apartment downstairs this fall (she is a student). For the summer, she is going home (across the country) and has left all her stuff with me. Including a Flat screen TV and a DVD player. So there we go! I have access, and the perfect amount of time to finally do the challenge I so desperately have been craving! And so begins the adventure.

I have decided to do the 'Lean Schedule' of the program, which focuses on more cardio for maximum weight loss, but still focuses on strength as well. I do not have the book (I know, I'm horrible for not getting these books!) as I was given the videos by a friend. If anyone has any HUGE pointers they would like to share (Veerruka!!), please chime in anytime!

Day One: Core Synergistics
This was a series of exercises that seemed to focus on working your core, but hitting all of your body. It was about one hour long, and was crazy fast, alternating between different sets quickly, without much rest (except for the occasional water break). I was able to keep up most of the time, but there were a few exercises that I completely sucked at - can you say beginner! The chataranga (which is a yoga pose I'm very familiar with) alternating with push-ups was incredibly difficult, and I sorta bombed. My abs are pretty weak, so boat poses and bananas were insane. I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow! But that's the point, tear down walls and rebuild them stronger!! Wish me luck!

If you did the P90X, did you take pics? What about on the Dukan? Did anyone take before and after pics???

Today's Eats:
Breakfast: Oatbran porridge with egg whites
Lunch: burger meat and salad
Dinner: Chicken meatballs with salad (maybe some other veggie, not sure)

Goals for this week: 
Drink my water!! I'm sucking at this completely!!
Do not give into temptation during my night shifts (tues/wed night)

5 comments:

  1. OK, you asked for my opinion, which is do the Classic routine. You are still going to run, right? So that makes it almost the doubles program, which means more cardio. The "lean" routine drops one of the 3 strength workouts, and does Cardio X instead of Plyo. Cardio X is a mishmash of Yoga, Kenpo X and Plyo, it's sort of P90X lite, and I think you can definitely handle Plyo. I think it's easier to get results from the classic, since more muscle burns more fat. All that being said, though, you can always start up Classic in a few weeks if you change your mind. BTW, don't be afraid to go heavy on the weights. None of the barbie weights (2-3-5) except for triceps and some shoulders. In Week 1, you can try out medium weights, but by week 2 & 3, you should definitely be doing 8-15lb, and increasing the weights almost every week I have 3-5-8-10-13.5-15-10-24-29-34 (I have 2 sets of dumbbell handles w/little plates of 10-5-2.5lb, so I make the combos 13.5, 24, 29,34). I'm now at 24-29lb for the back exercises, 10-20 for biceps, 5-13.5 for triceps, 5-20 for shoulders. Still not doing any unassisted pullups, but I use the chair, I do 4-7 boosting myself on one leg, then I switch legs and do more, and then switch again until my arms/back are tired, not because my legs are. I'm up to 10-15 assisted pullups. I'm not giving you these numbers to show off, just so you can see what's possible for females. I also started with lighter weights and lower reps of pullups. As for pushups, do real ones, and the girly ones to add reps. Each week you'll increase the no-knees reps. KEEP TRACK! Do you have a spreadsheet you can use? If not, I can send you my spreadsheet that I got off the net and have modified. I'll post it on my page in the next few days so you can copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say YES TAKE PHOTOS. You'll be sorry if you don't, as when day 30-60-90 comes along, you won't have anything to compare to. No need to post if you don't want, it can be just for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - so for sure I'll take photos. I won't be posting any though (well - maybe the afters!:).
    Today I'm sooo sore!! My entire torso is just so stiff! I love it!
    The one problem I have is - I don't have a chin up bar. I want to get my hubby to install one for me. I wish there was a substitute exercise (other than the band - as I would have the same problem there - no place to hang it!
    I'll have a look at the classic schedule when i get home tonight. I'm so sore, it will be hard to do anything!!!
    And yes, I'm going to try to lift heavy (was using tens mostly yesterday! I may need to invest!
    Thanks for the advice!! I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered the hook-it-over-the-door-frame type from Beachbody.com, I love it. I have to tell you, being able to do a pullup or a chinup is the greatest feeling. If you're not doing any of those reps, you will be working your arms a lot less. I've been busy at work today, so haven't had time to post the sheet, I'll try to do it tonight/tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!! I'll have to look into the over the door frame thing-a-ma-jiggy. I'm pretty broke right now, but if it is affordable, it would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete