Tuesday 3 May 2011

P90X Day 3: Shoulders and Arms/AbRipperX - And Just Hit Rock Bottom

We'll start with the good, put the crappy stuff in the middle, and then end on a good note. A nice little sandwich!

First off, slept great (night shift tonight). Woke up and had a nice big coffee. Then went downstairs to hit the weights. Shoulders and Arms today - and it was wonderful. My butt was really sore from the last two days, as were my quads - so it was good to get a bit of a break in that department. It's a very simple workout, which really fatigued my upper body. I need to get some more weights (I have too low and too high) - but it was a good starting point. My arms don't feel too bad right now, but I imagine they will tomorrow. Then I did the AbRipper (16 minutes of abs). This killed me. In a good way - but let me tell you - I have LOTS of room for improvement in the ab department!!

Now for the crappy part. After walking 5Km to work, I decided to jump on the scale. Now you can probably remember that last week, I weighed in at 159. Now this is heavier than I was before (when I wasn't really watching what I ate all that much at all - just eating relatively healthy). Since that weigh in day - I have been pretty spot on. Maybe not perfectly dukan - but as far as anyone else would say - following a very heatlhy diet. One that would inspire loss. Now today, before I've eaten anything but some protein - I jump on the scale. Naked. And I weigh almost 5 pounds more. This is impossible. Completely. I can rationalize it all in my head. There's no way I've eaten 3500 times 5 = 17500 calories (which would be the equivalent of 5 lbs) over my normal limit. If anything, I know that I've created a calorie deficit. Not to mention all the working out. And I know that it's not fat. I also know (so don't say it) that it's not muscle as of yet. Is it water? Am I retaining? Did I eat too much sodium? Are my muscles holding on to every little bit of water they can? I don't know. BUT THIS IS WHY I should not weigh myself. It terrifies me. It makes me want to do one of two things 1) Not eat anything, or 2) Eat everything in sight. Rationally, I won't do either of those things. I just need to get it out on paper, to feel better. I haven't weighed this much since last July. This is not where my body goes.  BBBBBLLLLLLAAAAHHH!

The good -
My diet is good. I'm exercising like a mo-fo. My plan will continue. I'm doing two days of straight protein right now. I'm working nights, and will be perfect. No 'trying'! Just doing it!! I'll chug water like no ones business. That's it. That's all.

Exercise:
1 Hour Arms/Shoulders
16 minutes : AbRipperX
5Km walk

Food:
Protein in my coffee
Turkey sausage with egg
Turkey sausage with egg
Turkey sausage with egg
(not a lot of variety I know - need to go shopping - lucky I love sausage and egg).

5 comments:

  1. Why don't you concentrate on using a measuring tape and avoid the scale? BTW, I GAINED weight the first time I did P90X, I started at 140 and went up 4-5lb, but not sure how fast that took. Anyway, there could definitely be some add'l muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I should (except I enjoy doing the biggest loser challenge at work - I feel like it keeps me in line, and I have friends there that I see each week). My goal was to not weigh myself other than that day. I didn't meet that goal this week! But you are right. I'm okay with gaining muscle - although I really need to lose some fat! When I weighed 147, I looked much thinner that I did at 139 - because I was doing Body For Life, and replaced fat with muscle. I'm comfortable with that. Just don't ever want to see 160+!!!! Argh! I know it will come right off. Right??

    Thanks for the word up on gaining though. I wish I could see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say it might be the shock of P90X along with potential hormonal or sodium issues. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. victoria adrianna4 May 2011 at 12:15

    Heather, chill out on the weighing and defiantly start measuring! If I weigh myself and I'm up, even a few lbs I automatically feel like a fatty! Even though I probably don't look any different. How do you feel? I'm guessing by how well you are doing with the P90X you feel good...like body aching,good? 5lbs is nothing really, that will probably be off in a few days once you're body has settled into the new exercise regime!

    Don't stress! You are doing greeeat! I'm envious of you!

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am so neurotic when it comes to the scales...argh. I have to start measuring!! My hubby told me I should take a pic of myself everyday to see that there is no increase on one of my 'fat days'. Not a bad idea! I do feel good (and sore) with P90X. And you know what, all the weight was off today. I'm so crazy!

    ReplyDelete